Hearts and Minds – run by CCS
18th January 2024 @ 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
CCS Course – Fees Apply
An 8 week specialist therapeutic parenting programme for adoptive parents, delivered by Dr Jude Courtney and Dr Helen Kirkaldie.
Designed for all adopters, but particularly those who find themselves getting limited rewards from family life, feeling frequent stress or wanting to think about the parenting of their child. The programme will focus on the 8 habits of the thriving adoptive family and provide strategies on how to embed these into your daily family life. The programme will enhance your family’s existing knowledge and enable reflection on the emotional journey that adoption brings.
This programme will be suitable for those who are trying to improve their family life or just prevent things from getting any worse. It will also be of particular benefit to those who are contemplating, or are about to engage in, therapeutic intervention, providing a good grounding from which to start therapy. Adopters will need to have had a child placed for 6 months or more.
If you parent as a couple, we strongly advise that both parents attend.
Location: The course will take place virtually via Zoom for its duration.
Time: Wednesday evenings 7.30-10pm
Date: 18th Jan, 25th Jan, 1st Feb, 8th Feb, break for half term, 22nd Feb, 29th February, 7th March, 14th March
Objectives of the programme:
- To give parents a thorough understanding of the theory which lies behind therapeutic parenting
- To understand the neurological changes that parenting brings to both adults and children
- To help parents become more confident in therapeutic parenting strategies and learn how to make these become habits of daily life
- To give parents a sense of hope that they are connecting to their complex child and can bring about more open, emotional engagement with them
- To help parents to reflect upon the emotional issues for them that have arisen from adopting a child who has experienced early trauma and might have developed blocked trust
- To help parents find strategies that protect them from moving into blocked care
Fee: £850 per person
More details can be found here: https://www.ccsadoption.org/the-centre/events-calendar/hearts-and-minds/